Bear with me as I attempt to walk you through my thought process.
To begin, we were definitely born broken, into a fallen world. We have something wrong… It is the sin that binds us, the sin that causes us to struggle. All the suffering on this planet is caused by the sins of others toward us or vise versa. But we definitely have hope. I will explain how I know.
- … For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God… (Romans 3:23)
- For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. (James 2:10)
This is just a summary of the truth we are sinners, but to be continued 🙂
- For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
The purpose of Jesus’ life was to pay our debt, suffer for our transgressions. What did this accomplish?
- I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you. (Isaiah 44:22)
- But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:7)
Because Jesus died as our atoning sacrifice, we are forgiven. God commands us to return to him. What does God want from us?
- He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'” (Luke 10:27)
Also, we because Jesus returned to heaven, we were given the holy spirit. Why do we have the Holy Spirit?