“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'”
God Has Good in Store for Us
God is a God of compassion and mercy. He, himself, is love (1 John 4:8). And, according to Jeremiah 29:11, he has good in store for us. So, why do bad things happen? One reason I have heard is because we sin. We stray from his “good, pleasing, and perfect” will (Romans 12:2) when we sin. This subject is definitely touchy because nobody knows all the answers. I know there is a reason God doesn’t reveal everything to us immediately. For one, he wants us to seek and find (Matthew 7:7). Another thing is, he does tell us he will explain mysteries if we call to him. “‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know'” (Jeremiah 33:3).
Why is There Suffering?
- There is sin in the world (Romans 3:23)
- We stray from the will of God (Isaiah 53:6).
- We are disciplined, which may seem bad at the moment (Hebrews 12:6-12).
- If we don’t get our way, we may be disappointed or upset, thinking it’s punishment.
- God tests our faith (1 Peter 1:6-7).
The Good News
- “‘I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more'” (Isaiah 43:25).
2. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you” (Psalms 32:8).
3. “For the LORD disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child” (Hebrews 12:6).
4. “‘Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go'” (Joshua 1:9).
5. “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him” (James 1:12).